One of the latest garage door opener breakthroughs was the WiFi enabled models. And you have Chamberlain & Liftmaster to thank for such convenient openers. You can connect your opener to the home WiFi easily. All you’ve got to do first is check that there is a strong signal in your garage. All you will need apart from that is your network password, your tablet or smartphone, and the MyQ serial number, which is usually found on the opener.
Let us just say here that internet connectivity is possible even if there is no a MyQ logo on your opener. You can still buy a system no matter which opener brand you’ve got.
How to connect your WiFi enabled opener to the home network
- You need to activate the WiFi learn mode first. In order to do that, use the control panel and go to Menu, then choose Program and then WiFi Setup. In case there is no such feature on your control, find the yellow learn button and press & release three times. Once you’ve done with this step, the opener should beep once and a blue LED will blink.
- Go to Settings and select WiFi. Then choose the network with the MyQ-nnn prefix. This way, you get connected to the MyQ WiFi network.
- Now you will connect the opener to the network at your home by launching the web browser on your smartphone or tablet. Use Safari for an iPhone and Chrome for Android and others.
- Follow directions on setup. myqdevice.com to add your opener to the home WiFi network.
- Then all you have to do is set up your own MyQ account by downloading the MyQ app from the Google or App store. You need to sign up and then confirm your account. Then log in to the MyQ App. What you want to do is add the MyQ serial number to your account.
Keep in mind that the WiFi will be activated once the WiFi opener runs a full cycle. Be extra careful when you enter your password (don’t capitalize). In case you make a mistake, you will need to exit and start over again.
Why will you need a WiFi opener?
- You can check whether or not you have closed the garage door without turning back. Everything will be done via your smartphone.
- You can control your electric garage door opener no matter where you are.
- You can get alerts notifying you if the garage door has been opened.
- You can plug it into a desired lamp at home and turn the light on before you return.
- You don’t have to go in the garage to close the overhead door. You can do it from any room.
- You can download the MyQ App for free and don’t have to ever pay a fee.
- Such systems work with a plethora of routers and you can still have the support of the company.
- With such systems, you take advantage of the latest technology to increase security and your personal convenience.