There are enough garage door styles to complement any home exterior design. And the benefit of living in a high-tech world is that the garage door designs have multiplied over the last years to the point that it’s often difficult to distinguish among styles. But don’t you worry. We are here to outline the most popular styles of garage doors to make your decision much easier.
How to Choose the Best Garage Door for Your Home
The purpose of garage door replacement is not only to refresh your style but increase your convenience too. So before we dig deeper into the various styles of garage doors, it’s important to pinpoint two issues.
- Since you will most likely get an electric garage door, it’s vital to pair it with the right opener. The good news is that there are many options on the market. The bad news is that this might get you confused and you might end up buying a garage door opener you don’t need. Or an opener not suitable for your garage door. So pay attention to its features in relation to the door.
- Make sure you get the right garage door type. This defines how the door opens which in turn is subject to the space available in the garage and often in the driveway.
Now, let’s focus on how you select garage door styles. There are traditional, contemporary, and modern styles in various designs and the door you choose should complement your home’s exterior. Most people tend to pair the style of their home with the style of the garage door. Not that a cottage house wouldn’t look good with a glass garage door but a carriage-house door will be more in its style spirit. But then again this is a matter of taste. We are here to sketch your choices. So here we go.
Traditional Garage Door Styles
Most traditional styles include wood garage doors. Although carriage-house doors mimicking the old cottage style are considered modern because they operate in an overhead garage door style, they are still traditional. Such styles are defined by the presence of wood or composite as the dominant material for the construction of doors while their design is differentiated by the wood tone and the presence or absence of interesting hardware.
Contemporary Garage Doors
Contemporary homes need refined and minimalistic garage door styles that won’t scream their presence but subtly support the exterior design of the residence. Apart from materials, the color also plays a crucial role in achieving that. And so gray or black steel garage doors will provide the elegance required in such environments. The most popular contemporary garage door styles?
- Glass garage doors – they enhance the clean lines of modern homes and bring a refined luxury to the exterior. The good news is that the glass panel can be clear or tinted, insulated, and tempered while an aluminum frame supports it and makes the door extra durable.
- Flush garage doors – with their minimalistic look, they are considered the less is more version of garage doors. They are plain and simple but not simplistic. They carry the weight of simplicity as a tool that brings harmony and makes a mute statement since they are stripped of decorative elements, windows, and textures.
Modern Garage Doors
If you bouncing between the sophisticated aesthetics of glass doors and the vintage charm of carriage house garage doors, there are solutions in the middle. Recessed and raised panel doors are often considered traditional but they may complement modern homes whose style is not extreme. And so if you have a residence that’s not too traditional or too contemporary, here are some excellent options.
- Raised panel garage doors – you have two choices here. The door may consist of either long or short panels shaped in rectangles or squares. The main feature of raised panel doors is that each panel/plane is slightly protruded while the pattern is repeated across each panel of sectional doors.
- Recessed panel garage doors – they are the exact opposite of raised panel doors in terms of the design of each plane. Instead of protruding, they are recessed but the pattern of long or short panels is repeated here too.
There are contemporary and traditional garage doors and for those of you who will prefer something in the middle, there are modern styles too. So your choice won’t be so hard after all given that each style is offered in several designs and colors too.