Is there such a thing as the perfect garage door opener? The truth is that all models have their pros and cons. And this associates with the garage door and your expectations. So, it’s a matter of personal preference too. One thing is for sure. Among all opener types found on the market, chain and belt drive options are the most popular. And that says a lot about their advantages. So the question lies on which one is best for you. For that, it will be helpful to give you an overview of their pros and cons.
Chain drive garage door openers
How to identify them: they have a chain, which resembles that of your bike. When
power is transferred by the motor, the chain moves in the rail and transfers this power to the carriage on the door. In turn, the carriage pushes or pulls the arm to either open or close the door.
- Durability – thanks to the chain, these types of garage door openers are very strong and thus the ideal choice for very heavy doors.
- Safety – the chain might need some adjustment in the long run but it won’t slip off. This makes the operation safe.
- Cost-effective – chain drive openers are the most inexpensive options on the market. That’s one of the reasons why they are so popular.
- Easy to find – since they are very popular, they are available everywhere. And there are also many options among chain drive garage door openers.
- Noisy – one of their greatest disadvantage is their loud noise. They are loud due to the chain. If your garage is detached, you won’t mind the noise. The truth is that this is not always a shortcoming. Many people like to hear the garage door opening to know if someone is coming in. The good news is that with DC motors, even the noisy chain drive openers are not so noisy anymore.
- Rough operation – due to the chain, these openers don’t run smoothly. And they are usually slower.
- Maintenance – they need maintenance often. The chain in particular needs adjustment and lubrication.
Belt drive garage door openers
How to identify them: They look like chain drive openers but instead of a chain, they utilize a rubber belt. Other than that, they operate in a similar way.
- Silent – due to their rubber belt, these openers work quietly. Now, if you get a DC motor, you won’t hear a thing.
- Faster – they move slightly faster than their chain counterparts.
- Relatively strong – belt drive openers are very durable and will lift one car garage doors with ease. But they might struggle a bit with two car doors or very heavy doors.
- Less maintenance – although they need service too, they lack the chain which needs lubes and adjustments.
- Easy to find – since they too are very popular openers, you can find them in a plethora of options everywhere.
- A bit more expensive – although their price tag doesn’t scare you away, it’s worth mentioning that belt drive openers are a bit more expensive than chain drive ones.
- Longevity – although they too last for a long time, chain drive openers last longer. So, pay attention to your warranty.
Chain drive vs. belt drive openers! Which one is the best choice for you? It depends on what you want. Silent operation? A cheaper opener? An opener for a very heavy door? Consider your needs before you decide. Bear in mind that whichever you choose is a good option.